Peter M Nilsson is a Professor of Clinical Cardiovascular Research at the Lund University in Sweden. His main area of expertise is cardiovascular and metabolic risk mechanisms. This is especially relevant for studies related to the Early Vascular Aging (EVA) syndrome – a cardiovascular risk syndrome based mainly on the combination of increased arterial stiffness (pulse wave velocity), impaired glucose metabolism, telomere length shortening, and early signs of atherosclerosis (intima media thickness in art. carotis). Another field of interest is the gene-environment interactions behind the development of obesity and type 2 diabetes, but also the study of patients with type 1 diabetes of long duration but escaping major complications (PROLONG study). I addition he studies the early life pogramming (birth weights) of adult disease). Dr. Nilsson is currently Director of a strategic research program for national and international excellence in epidemiological research, linking the Lund and Uppsala universities called “Epidemiology for Health” (EpiHealth), with a long-term financial support by the Swedish Government. Dr Nilsson has a longstanding experience as PI for large-scale population-based screening studies focusing on cardiovascular disease (CVD) and type 2 diabetes, now also in families at risk (Malmö Offspring Study). He has published more than 450 full papers and 120 reviews in peer-reviewed medical journals in English.
- Help us to better understand perceptions related to Vascular Ageing
- BHF CoRE Glasgow Virtual Symposium – “Hot Topics in Cardiovascular Research” – 26th April 2021, from 13:00 – 16:30 (BST)
- NAA 2021 Virtual – Early Detection and Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease
- Worlds 1st Symposium on Ultra High Frequency Ultrasound in Translational Research
- ARTERY 19 – Photographs from the Conference